Taichung Time

Monday, September 1, 2014

August 31, 2014

 ( The subject line of Ryan's email this week was:Takin' a ride down the Bap Slizzl)
If you don't understand what the subject line of this email means, it's alright because I'm not totally sure either! Elder P and I are pretty exhausted some nights and say some pretty weird things! haha! 

What a week! I feel like this has to be the hundredth time that you've read that line at the beginning of one of my emails, but I can't help it! Each new week never ceases to amaze me with the new turn of events that it brings! I had some seriously special experiences this week, which I'll tell you about in a bit. But before that, I need some help from everyone back home. We've got a couple investigators on their way to baptism right now, but this last week each one hit some pretty big challenges which will keep them from making this sacred covenant and moving forward. Could you please help me pray for them? I can't give you any names, but if you could just keep those investigators in your prayers, I know that God knows who they are and He'll be able to bless them. 

We had one of the busiest weeks of my mission. A few days literally had MULTIPLE lessons scheduled every hour of the day. 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and so on until 9:30 at night! We basically just made up our meal times once we got home for the night! It was absolutely crazy, but so fulfilling. I've never wanted to work harder in my life. Not for football, wrestling, not for the school musical or a student council campaign, not for a job or anything! It's because all of those things were and are for my own personal gain. Sure, someone may or may not have benefited by me participating in those things, but I did them for myself because I enjoyed it or because I physically received some form of reward for it. Now, the only reward I receive is a nice cold room full of air conditioning at night, yet I've never felt more satisfied with a days work than I do now. The sweat, blood, tears, bug bites and aches and pains have all been soothed over as I've strived to listen to my fathers quoted advice: "Forget yourself, and go to work." Those words must have been quoted by a prophet or something, because they ring true in my mind every second of every day.;)

We had a blast going on exchanges with the Assistants to the President on Tuesday. It's fun to be with them now! I used to be a little intimidated by them because they were so awesome, but now I feel like we're just best buddies! We worked super hard and tired them out for the day! On Thursday, Elder P and I were to go down to the Mission Office to go the the monthly council for the leaders in the mission. I was so touched as I listened to the revelation and the maturity in that meeting. I remember watching many of the leaders now being trained when they first came on island. Quite a few of them were even in my zone when I was a zone leader over in Zhongxing! At the end of the meeting, we sing the mission song. As we stood and grouped together to sing the song, I felt no different than any other time. I looked around at the unbroken line of my best friends and couldn't hold back a few silent tears of love, respect and have gratitude that I've had this chance to serve around such admirable people. Once I realized that it was the last time I'd see a few of them, the tears ran a little more freely. 

I want to share a little comparison with you this week. The plan that God has created for us and this life are comparable to a large bodied, empty bottle with a thin bottle neck. Can you picture it? It looks kind of like this:

                    
                  |    |
                  |    |
                 /      \
               /          \
             /              \
           /                  \
         /                      \ 
     --------------------------

So here we have our lives. We've been placed inside this little bottle to experience the world and learn to overcome it. It's honestly the ONLY way that we'll be able to TRULY know and understand how to master ourselves and all our passions. The purpose is to get out of the bottle and back to God. The way? Look to Him and always be moving towards him. Now, this is not a perfect comparison, so bare with me! The bottom of the bottle seems so wide and it looks like our choices and freedom are pretty vast! It seems pretty nice down there, doesn't it? The closer we get to leaving the bottle, the way seems so much more narrow and our choices and freedom seem to be restricted to an almost unbearable level. The thing is, most people don't realize the most important aspect! Although you think that your choices and opportunities are so vast and comfortable, you still live inside a bottle!!! Isn't that absolutely pathetic? Let's go! Man up, deal with a little bit of discomfort and squeeze your way out into the real world! Of course, we won't be able to fully free ourselves from this bottle until the next life, but unless we start making progress now, we'll end up stuck inside this pathetic bottle for the rest of eternity. Brothers and Sisters, fight hard. DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN LIVE IN A BOTTLE THE REST OF ETERNITY AND STILL RETURN TO LIVE WITH THE ALMIGHTY GOD. You are expected to MOVE and to WORK. I promise that the Savior has provided a way, a rope if you will, and if we will but stick to that way, hold to that rope, we will always know where we are going and how to get there. Don't let go. No matter how sore your arms may be, no matter how much it hurts or how claustrophobic you might be getting... hold on there. There is brightness and open air ahead.

Love you all. The influence you've had on me throughout my life continues to play a role in my mind everyday. I remember things at the most random times, and those memories bring strength and smiles every time!

Love, Elder Noll (Sr.) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment