Taichung Time

Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013

Hello everyone!
First things first, the 5 things to look for in the Book of Mormon are:
- Faith in Christ (or acts of faith)
- Repentance
- Baptism
- the Holy Ghost
- Endure to the End
... that's what I'm looking for in my Book of Mormon right now because that is what I've been called to help people do. That is literally the Missionary Purpose! You all don't HAVE to look for those things specifically, that's just my personal topic(s) right now. I want you all to just pick any topic you want to look for in the Book of Mormon, or any question you want answered, write it down in the opening cover of the Book of Mormon, and then mark away as you read! If you're diligent about looking for this thing, you'll find it in every page!! Yes, even in the Isaiah chapters! So Jiayou! Keep going!

     So Grandpa is doing a little better then? Although he might be healing slowly, I feel like he will make a full recovery. From the way that dad explained it, it didn't sound like he would... but right now, I just feel like I should tell you all that I believe he will recover fully. 
    Ha! I'm glad that my letters have done something more than bore you all with my never ending praise of Taiwan, and my endless advice I try to give to all of you! Wow, I can't believe it's in the negatives there! And here I am, sweating in an internet cafe! ;)

     This week has been great, as always! First of all, I'm not sure if I ever thanked you for all of the letters from the ward and family! That was the COOLEST thing ever! Elder S. and I opened one every day during our Companionship study! Thank you everyone for the love and support!

     So this week we had some interesting experiences! There was one day (I forget which day it was) when we had lessons all day (awesome) and then we ate some dinner, went to another lesson and then we were on our way to a "less active's" house. We passed an intersection and I saw this scooter running the red light to my right, missing me by a couple feet and ramming the scooter behind me head on! It was so loud! Later Elder S. told me he thought they hit me and he was thinking to himself: "My trainee died!!" So we slammed on our brakes and I ran over to see what I could do... It's a little bit more difficult doing a patient assessment in Chinese... But I did my best to put her at ease and keep her smiling. Nothing too serious, no blood or anything and she had a helmet on. The scariest part was the fact that some girls ran over to "help" before I got there and they were trying to lift her to her feet! I ran over and told them to keep her still, had one of them hold her head for C-spine, and then just talked with her until the EMT's got there. She was remarkably calm! I got her to laugh a little bit and she told me that it was only her wrist and her leg that were bothering her so she was ok. When the EMT's got there, they started "attempting" to get her on a backboard (I won't even try to tell you how they did it because Dad would cringe) and asked the EMT if I could help at all (he told me to take off so I passed her off to them and went on to my lesson! I found out later that Elder S., who wasn't entirely sure what to do at the time, took a couple pictures for all of you! Ha, I'll send them in a letter because I don't really want to put those in an e-mail. So, time number two that EMT class has paid off! 

      We have a 13 year old kid with a baptismal date right now, and then we've got another guy who is AWESOME who we're hoping to baptize in February! I'm sorry, I don't have a ton of time to write today so this may be shorter and not as full of the good Gospel related stuff as last week! We also did exchanges this week! I went on an exchange with an Elder C. (the Tainan Zone leader) and guess what? He wrestled at South Summit, and then went on scholarship to wrestle at Air Force Academy! He's definitely a stud! I found out that the zone leaders have some serious hookups (including not only a HUGE, open spaced apartment, but also a bench with a weight set! Just for bench press but still, it sure beats a pair of 30 lb dumbells!) and they also have a ton of food because they have a Costco in their area! Awesome right? So that was a good night, I spent the night there and then pedaled on back to my area!

     That next day, we had a lesson with a 16 year old who has some family problems. He basically plays computer games all day and his mom doesn't like that so much so she tells him to get off and HE doesn't like that so much so he ignores her... basically it's just not a good relationship. 
     The mom "listens" in on our lessons (she does talk quite a bit, I'll give him that) and this time we asked her if she would give the prayer for us. All we told her was that we address Heavenly Father, say whatever we want to Him, ask for whatever, and then close in the name of Jesus Christ. It was one of the most special experiences I've ever witnessed. 
     Mom, Dad, I've never been present for one of your personal prayers when you're praying for us kids. I wouldn't expect you to pour your hearts out for us over dinner or something, but I know that you pray for us all the time because I feel the blessings because of those prayers. 
     This mother, who has so much love for a child who doesn't see it, poured her whole soul into the prayer. As she started, she just started telling Heavenly Father about the problem she had, and then she told Him how much she loved her son and how much she wanted him to love her and how she wanted to fix the relationship with him. She got about a minute in when I started to feel the tears silently slipping down my cheeks! I was witnessing a parent pray for her child! I thought it was a little awkward at first, but then I thought of you mom. I thought of how I never appreciated the love that you showed me on a daily basis, I thought of the times that I may have been snippy with you, or ungrateful for your effort and love. And then I thought of dad, and all the times I've taken your advice and laid it aside for my own, teenager knowledge. All the times I was grumpy because you told me to mow the lawn, all the times that I chose to hang out with friends instead of doing yard work with you. I couldn't hold my emotions in! I felt so bad and so guilty and then so mad that this kid had his parents here and yet he was wasting that blessing! 
     After her prayer, I was quiet for a long time. (During the prayer the kid had snapped at his mom and so when she ended it was really awkward and she quietly wiped away her tears and went into her room). I knew that if I opened my mouth I would say something out of anger instead of love. So I thought for a while while Elder S. talked on the Book of Mormon for a bit, and I thought about how the Savior would handle this. I made up my mind about what I wanted to ask him and then I did, he was really quiet and then he opened up a little. I bore my testimony on the role of parents, specifically mothers, and told him how much I missed mine. I told him he had a chance to be with his parents now, and that I know they loved him so much! It was really special, to me at the very least, and I hope that he felt the Spirit that was touching me as well.

     What's the moral of that story? All you kids who don't listen to your parents, know that one day you're going to leave that house, know that one day you're going to be on your own. I promise you that you will regret not listening. You will regret not loving them as much as you should have. You will be so lonely and so sad when you can't see there faces every day. I know this because I've gone through it now! I miss you mom and dad! I'm so sorry for not being a better child! I'm sorry for not appreciating you as much as I should have! I know that I won't understand the sacrifices you've given me until I have a kid myself, but I appreciate that sacrifice more now than I ever have before!

     I'm sorry to cut this off so suddenly, but I got to go! I love all of you so much! I can't wait to hear from you next week!
     Also, I mailed the package with all the stuff in it... FINALLY!

 love you! Love, Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment