Taichung Time

Monday, March 18, 2013

March 17, 2013

Well, another week gone by and I'm left to scramble through the week, attempting to describe some pretty incredible events that I never seem to do justice!... Oh well, in two years (actually, more like a year and a half!! Isn't that CRAZY??) I'll be able to tell you all a lot more!
     First things first, your questions!
1 - How's the new area?
     It's pretty incredible!! It's in the very deep south of Taiwan, so it's not only incredible, but incredibly hot!! Which is good and a little hard at the same time, because it means the fruit is honestly the most "prime" (as Jessi would say) fruit in all of Taiwan!! The people are also so nice. I don't know why, but they'll almost always listen as you talk to them! Most of the time people just drive off on their mopeds, but here they at least listen! I'll explain a little more later on...

2- You said you're now in Gaoxiong... Is that the same as "Xiaogang?"... Is it near the coast or inland?
    Gaoxiong is HUGE! Xaiogang is a place inside of Gaoxiong, and I'm in the west part of Gaoxiong... a little place called 苓雅 Lingya! It's actually where my teacher, Brother V, served for a while. We also share the Chapel with Elder S's favorite area in the world... side note, he may actually be coming back here to Gaoxiong because he's been begging President B. for a year now. So there's a good chance that we'll be in the same district again! It's near the coast, in fact we may be going to the beach next week! I'm gonna get my surf on... I wish! haha
 
4- How's the new companion?
     My new companion is Elder D., although I'm willing to bet mom (with all her crazy super mom powers... and the internet chat rooms) already knew that! He's a pretty awesome guy, and he actually served with Elder H. right after Elder H finished training too! Kind of funny, right? He's a really hard worker, and right now we've got some great investigators that we're working with and hoping to baptize by the end of April! The only catch is that we might only be together for like, 2 more weeks. The missions of all over the world are trying to sync up the move-calls so that they're all on the same time frame, so this move-call is only 3 weeks long! He's been here in Lingya for 4 move-calls now, so it's pretty likely that he'll move... but you never know!!
     Yeah! SO, I'm working in the best place ever I guess! Ever since I've come to Taiwan, I've only ever heard how incredible Gaoxiong is, and not just Gaoxiong, but the area that I'm in right here! We had a sister in my District in Tainan, Siste L, who was freaking out when she found out that I was coming here! She was so happy for me! haha and now I know why everyone loves it here so much! The weather, the people, the ward, and just the general atmosphere! Our apartment is also right next to the Cultural Center so we get to see all the cool stuff going on over there every night! They usually have parades there and festivals and dancers and weird rituals and stuff, haha so it's a great place to contact people! I won't lie to you, I miss Tainan SO, SO, SO, MUCH!! I miss Elder S, I miss our old apartment, I miss my old district, and most of all I miss the investigators and ward members! There is just something special about your first area that you can never really forget!! But this place is still so awesome! My first couple days felt like weeks... not because of the heat, not because of my companion, not because of anything except for.... the bike. Oh I've never hated something as much as I hated this bike. I had to wait a couple days for my bike to be sent from Tainan down to my apartment here in Gaoxiong, and I had to use an old missionary bike while I waited. This bike had about 8 gears... but I couldn't change gears myself, the bike decided to do that for me... at the most inconvenient times!! I'd be going up a big hill in 8th gear, or riding on flat ground in 1st!! And then, when I'd start pedaling after waiting at a stoplight, the gear would jump into 8th again and I'd end up almost racking myself with the bar between my legs as the gear jumped! Elder D. got a kick out of it, and my journal must have been pretty sick of me complaining about it! Haha, seriously guys, there is no way to explain to you how much I did not like that bike, but there's also no way to explain how happy I was to get on MY bike when it finally came!! I had the biggest smile on all day when it came! haha, and now that I've wasted a couple of minutes of your time with that story, on to the week! The first couple days here were spent meeting people in the ward, the recent converts, less actives, and a few of the investigators we're meeting with right now. They're all doing really good, and we're making some good progress! We've also met 2-3 new people in the last week who are now progressing investigators! Way awesome right?? I'll have to tell you more about them next week because I don't know a ton about them myself yet!
     I'll tell you about one of the coolest experiences we've had so far though! So, 2 days ago, we were calling some phones and I got a call from a member who lived up in Taizhong. She told me that her brother lived down here and he was in the hospital so she wanted us to go over there and give him a blessing. I told her we'd love to do it, and we went to meet her at the hospital that night. We got there and she talked to us about what had happened for a little bit. This guy had a work accident and was absolutely covered, head to toe, in burns. He was in really bad condition. So much pain, breathing through a tube, and unconscious. She went to let us in, and the hospital wouldn't let us because visiting hours were over. She introduced us to her sister who is not a member. She didn't totally understand why we were there, but she was willing to let us do whatever, and told us to come back with her sister on Sunday during visiting hours. I was a little nervous about having to give a blessing without any other member of the church there, but we agreed and then came back on Sunday. We got there, and more than 1/2 the family was there! Not a single one of them even knew what a priesthood blessing was, but you could just see the look of hope in their eyes, the hope that we (two 19 year old white kids) could do something to help their loved one. They took us around to a room that we could look through the window and see him... it looked pretty bad. We told the sister that we'd like to be inside to give him the blessing, and they told us it wasn't allowed to be in there because of the risk of infection. Very understandable, so we did the blessing outside without the oil... I'm sure God understands! Elder D. gave the blessing, and it was so great! Our Chinese is about the same, vocab and grammar-wise, so it wasn't beautiful and fluent Chinese or anything... but the power behind it was absolutely astounding. Every word had meaning in it. He had to pause a couple times, letting the Spirit direct, and then he would seal yet another incredibly powerful blessing upon the victim and his family members. It was about half way through the blessing when I noticed the sister, not a member, was sobbing. With the blessing finished, she tearfully thanked us over and over again, and then we wanted to give them some privacy, so we left... the entire family of 10-15 people staring at us with happy, a little awe-inspired, looks on their faces. It was so amazing.
     That's part of what my spiritual thought is on today. The priesthood, the Restoration. Such a basic principle, right? I've been learning about it since I was a tiny kid, it's taught to kids when they are old enough to talk, and it's continually expounded upon as we become more and more mature. I've learned more about the Restoration in the past 6 months than I've learned in 20 years. It's not just something you can study or read about, but it's something you MUST feel and experience in order to truly understand. I remember the starting point of my understanding in the Restoration. It started when my family took a trip to Palmyra, New York my senior year of high school. The feelings I felt in that Sacred Grove are only comparable to those in the Holy Temple of the Lord. There is no way to explain it, no way to capture the sacredness of it in a picture, but it's a feeling not of this world. It's the Peace of Christ (John 18) on earth. I won't go into detail about what I know about the Restoration other than this simple testimony. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored through Joseph Smith, that Joseph Smith truly saw God the Father and Jesus Christ and that he did, in all actuality, speak with them. I know that even today, we have a living prophet who leads the Church, not the way HE wants to, but the way that our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, has commanded him to. If we rely on him, we will never go astray. Lastly, I know that the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God given to us to light our paths and show us the way to Eternal life. I promise with all the faculties of my soul that these things are true, and I invite those of you who are not yet baptized to come unto Christ and learn of these things. I promise you will feel the most precious joy you could possibly have. And, I mimic Elder Holland in inviting those who have fallen away to come back and partake of the joy of Eternal Salvation. I know that I'm just a 19 year old kid, I know that I haven't had a whole lot of worldly experience and my knowledge is nowhere near as deep as most of you, but I do know that this gospel is true and is the only way unto Christ and Eternal Happiness.
     I love all of you, and MISS all of you more that I could possibly explain! I have pictures on my wall of all of you that I look at every day before bed... and when I say all of you, I mean ALL OF YOU!! Extended family included!! I can't wait to be back in your presence and tell you more of how much I love you, but I've got work to do here right now. It's incredible to me to know that 6 months have already gone by! It only makes me want to work harder and give more effort! Everyone add some oil (sorry, that's a Chinese joke) and enjoy life!
Love Elder Noll
 
PS.
     Mom, I just need to tell you that I apologize for not cleaning as much as I should have at home. I'm now Elder Maria the Maid at this new apartment!! I don't think the Elders have swept the floor there in about a year and I'm pretty sure that they shave in the living room because there is hair EVERYWHERE!! Ha, but it's looking a lot better since I got here. I've done a deep sweep each night, I've mopped twice and I've organized 2 of the 4 rooms into a suitable living situation... Elder S has turned me a little OCD when it comes to cleanliness!! Does that surprise you? haha, just want to tell you I love you! I'm still going through all the quotes you gave me and loving each and every one! Hope all continues to go well back home! Love ya!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment