Taichung Time

Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 21, 2013

     Well, it's sooo good to hear from everyone this week! I'm glad to know that you're all doing so well! I'm loving life right now here in Lingya! We recently baptized a very steadfast guy about 23 years old, and he's doing great! We're now preparing him to receive the Priesthood! So incredible!! We also have a few other people scheduled to be baptized... soon. We've had to push some dates back because of scheduling conflicts and such... you wouldn't believe some of the things that come up on the week of a baptism!! Let's just say that the adversary works really hard to turn people away from the path of righteousness! We've also met some really incredible new investigators this week! Just yesterday, we met this great, little family! We talked about the Restoration and how it pertains to Eternal Families and they're pretty excited to keep learning! So Great!!
     I've got to say, some of the highlights of my week were English class, and a Single Adult activity that we took our Recent Converts to. In English, we had a chance to watch part of the Joseph Smith movie, the one that they play in the Joseph Smith Memorial building at Temple Square!! Elder P (my old companion) has the movie, and he let us borrow it so I could show my English class!! If you guys want to get that version, it's probably online... you have to make sure it's called "Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration" and that it's the version they show at Temple Square... wow. I've forgotten how incredible it is!! BUT, on top of that, the single adult activity was watching the Emma Smith movie! Just as good, if not better!! These two movies have set me on a Joseph Smith kick for the whole week! I'm literally in awe at the acts of those early saints and the sacrifices they made to allow us to be what we are today! Very awesome!
     Before I go into my Spiritual thought of the week, I want to introduce you to Taiwanese summers! Very crazy! It's probably about 80-85 degrees, not too hot, right? Wrong. It's about 100% humidity outside!! Elder S told me that he once heard a quote by President Hinkley (apparently President Hinkley once visited Gaoxiong) and it goes like this: "Gaoxiong reminds me a little of H..." I don't know if I'd trust Elder S or not though... ha, Gaoxiong is incredible, but it's also hot. The major plus of that, is the fruit!! SO GOOD!! Also, people are a little more willing to talk to us... I don't know if it's because they see the sweat and feel bad for us, but it sure is nice to talk to more people!
     So I'm doing great this week! Everything is flying by, so I feel like I don't have a whole lot to write down! It feels like I was sitting at this same computer just yesterday! I want to talk about a scripture in Revelations 1:16 today. "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..." A simple statement, no? It's a very easy thing to say, but how do we act when we are "not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ?" I once had a Seminary teacher talk to us about standing up to opposition and showing the whole world that we are not ashamed of Christ! One of the greatest examples that I've ever seen is in the Joseph Smith movie. Joseph is chained on the floor with various other Church leaders and they are listening as the vile guards describe the disgusting actions they performed as they drove the saints out of Illinois. Joseph stands up and rebukes them with a voice later described as a lion roaring with royal dignity. I invite you all to go back and watch this particular section of the movie, it leaves me chilled and with goosebumps each time I see it. There are times in our everyday lives when we have a chance to stand up and tell people what we believe. What holds us back? Fear. I'm not saying that I'm above it, I'm far from being above fear!! But all of us can overcome it for a small moment to stand up for what we believe in! That's my invitation this week. Stand up, and "Be thou an example of the Believers!" I promise that you will be "lifted up on Eagles Wings" as you do this and you'll see the love of the Savior even more clearly as you stand up to defend His Gospel.
 
     Love you all! I'm grateful for all of the support and I continue to pray for each of you every day! Talk to you Next week!!
Love, Elder Noll
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment