Taichung Time

Monday, November 4, 2013

November 3, 2013

Hey guys! Well, it's been yet another week full of more miraculous stories! It's interesting that I used to have the hardest time trying to keep a journal at home, but now that I'm on a mission, seeing miracles daily, it would be hard NOT to keep a journal! I'm really shocked at all the things that I've seen and done since coming here! It's only on a mission that you can experience these kinds of things, and I'm grateful for this opportunity every single day. 

     Well, here we go with the activities of the week! Sorry last weeks letter was such a dud, I'll try to make up for it with this week's!:

Monday: Such an awesome, exhausting day!! Saw a ton of people that I haven't seen in FOREVER!! My RC came up from Gaoxiong to see me, along with 3 or 4 other friends that came up with him! I saw tons of missionaries that I haven't seen for a really long time, including Elder D, Sister W, Elder G and a couple others! It was kinda like a giant family reunion! (not that we really did many of those, but I'm guessing it's something like that!) 

Tuesday and Wednesday: Talk about Dejavu!! Went on Exchanges with Elder M and had a super fun time! We ate like Kings for 2 days straight and spent a LOT of money! Well, not THAT much, but it felt like it! It's really super fun to be in the same area as Elder M! He's definitely one of my favorite companions of my Mission! He's super fun, but he knows how to work! I don't know how much I"ve told you about Daya, but we have a District of 6 missionaries here and we all share the same area. We run into each other multiple times a day, and the Elders eat pretty much every meal together when our schedules allow, so it's definitely a lot different from most other proselyting areas! We enjoy it a lot!

Thursday: Happy Halloween! We actually did do a little bit of Trick or Treating... with church tracts... and we didn't get any candy... I guess it's not all that similar to Trick or Treating, but we DID knock on a bunch of doors! :) We met a guy from a ward in the southern part of Taichung who sells some really awesome ties! These ones are a lot better quality than the first one that I sent you guys, and they look 100X cooler! I bought a couple and it was SO worth it. At night, the 4 Elders all went out to a graveyard to do something scary for Halloween... we tried a bunch of Taiwanese superstitions (whistling after dark, looking at a grave upside down from between your legs, stupid stuff like that) but they didn't work! It was definitely a little scary though! haha yes, we're kind of childish once proselyting hours are over.

Friday: The most incredible miracle. We've been having a really hard time finding progressing investigators lately, but we had an AWESOME lesson today with one of our English students. We met with him for the first time last week, and invited him to be baptized. He rejected us and so we challenged him to pray about it... we followed up with him on Friday and saw the miracles happen! He got super serious when we asked him how he felt about baptism, and he said: "when I prayed about it, I just felt so comfortable!" The Spirit came in the room so strongly as we continued discussing the Holy Ghost and how It works in each of us, and then we invited him, once again, to be baptized. He accepted IMMEDIATELY, but then he told us that his parents would never allow him to be baptized. My heart just sank as I saw the look of despair cross his face and as he begging, asked us if he could be baptized without his parents permission... I had to tell him "no" he can't be baptized without his parents permission. I prayed in my heart about what we should do, and then I looked at him and promised him that if he prayed, read his scriptures daily, and came to church weekly that his parents would allow him to be baptized. I can't even describe how bright his face lit up as we gave him that promise. It was like a giant ray of hope for him! We're super excited to keep working with him! 

Those were the most exciting events of the week! 

The spiritual thought that I'll leave with you this week has to do with weekly church attendance and partaking of the Sacrament. We are much more similar to cars than most people would think! We really do need to "fill up the tank" pretty often! I'm not just talking about nutrients and filling our stomachs, but "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" is a true statement! If we don't take some time to really fill up our Spiritual Tanks, we're going to crash and burn. The Sacrament is the best way that we can fill up our tanks weekly. Of course, it's not enough to just do that and nothing else, but we definitely DO need to partake of the Sacrament weekly in order to continue resisting temptation, in order to strengthen our testimony, and in order to remember the Lord in everything we do and say! I know that this is true, and I challenge each of you to pay attention to your Spiritual Tank, Spiritual Batteries or whatever you want to call it, the next time that you partake of the Sacrament. Notice the little burst that you will feel, it's a promise that God has given to each of us who live in this generation, that we can do this weekly and receive the power we need from worthily partaking. I testify of the divinity of this dispensation, and I add my testimony that He lives and loves us. He directs His church today through His chosen prophet, Thomas S. Monson and I am His servant forevermore. 

I love ya guys! jiayou!!

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment