Taichung Time

Monday, September 8, 2014

September 8, 2014

This week goes to the Moon Festival... a holiday dedicated to BBQ-ing for the whole weekend! I'm lovin' life at the moment... we went to two all you can eat BBQ's at member's houses last night, and we've got two more scheduled today with a few more scattered out throughout the rest of the week... life is good! The best part, well one of the awesome parts, is that we have a few investigators coming and joining the party tonight! That'll give them an awesome chance to meet some of the coolest people in the ward and eat a bunch of meat! 

I'll tell you really quick about two miracles this week! 

Miracle # 1:
We have this way cool investigator who has met with missionaries on and off for over a year... I met him when I first came to Daya back in 2013 and we started meeting with him over the past couple weeks... we had a member come to the lesson with us this last week as we extended a Baptismal invitation. It was incredible. Honestly, the Spirit was so strong. We taught about the Plan of Salvation and about what it means in our lives, and how we could be affected by it. In the end, we asked him when he wanted to be baptized. He said he wants to be baptized later in September! We were so happy to see him so excited about the Gospel! It might have helped that the member we brought was a 19 year old girl, so it may have got him a little more excited to come to church ;)... that mixed with the Spirit and there's no way he could have said "No!"

Miracle # 2:
We set up with with a referral from a member on Thursday... turns out that he used to meet with missionaries over a year or so ago and he stopped because he got in a car accident and lost contact. The first thing he did when we sat down in the chapel was breathe out a huge sigh and say: "wow! I haven't felt this in so long!!" as he grabbed his chest and explained to us that something was burning inside his heart and he just wanted to stay in the church all the time! We were a little shocked, but adapted pretty quick and came to find out that he wants nothing more than to be baptized and have the gift of the Holy Ghost! He does have a few hurdles to overcome...but God worked a miracle to help us meet him, He'll definitely work some more miracles to get him baptized! 

So it's been quite the week! I'm grateful to be here. I want to share a story with you that influenced my life quite a bit. My first football coach was a guy named Coach Smith. I remember being absolutely terrified of that guy. I was only a freshman in high school, 90 pounds and not yet 5 feet tall with pads 2 times too big and football skills nowhere near as good as anyone else. I remember just trying to give it all I had every practice. I didn't want anyone to think that they could take advantage of me just because of my height, so I tried to make up for my lack of mass and skill with just pure heart. It didn't matter how hard I got hit, I'd always try my best to get up before the other guy and run out of there while he was still on the ground. It got to where I was just totally beat up. Completely exhausted and running on empty. My heart told me I had to keep going, but my brain was telling me to stop! It was exhausting me both mentally and physically... until one day, we had a team dinner at one of my teammates houses. After dinner, Coach Smith told us all to gather around. He pulled a red shirt out of a cardboard box at his feet. He said a lot of stuff about what it meant to be a "Mighty Red Devil" and how we ought to give our all, but I don't remember much about that. He said one line that I'll never forget, and luckily enough that one line was written on the back of that shirt.

 "Every Second, Every Play." 

That one line will forever shape my life. It's shaped my mission up to this point, and I will continue to live by it every day. At that time, when I was totally ready to give up and lay down, this line strengthened me and let me know that I could continue on. God will not carry us through life! He definitely can, but if He were to do that, then nothing we do would ever mean anything to us! Brothers and Sisters, when it gets hard and you feel like you can't get back up... when you feel like you just got rocked and your head is spinning... get up. Keep going. Don't think for a second that you're done. DON'T CUT YOURSELF SHORT. Don't settle for mediocrity, because YOU were never meant to be only mediocre. 

Love you guys! Have a great week!

Love, Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment