Taichung Time

Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30, 2012

Utah (and Nevada, and Idaho, and California, and anybody else who is reading this letter), HELLO!
     This week has been really awesome! I guess I'll just start with Monday night! We got back to the apartment at about 9, and we started planning. About half-way through (as we were talking about what time I would be skyping you guys the next day) Elder S says: "Oh, you're going to have to call home really quick tonight and set up your time with them."... I thought I heard him wrong! hahaha so I call and I hear dad's groggy voice saying: "Hello?" I started laughing as I greeted him back and asked who it was! His answer was the funniest I've heard in a while! I said, "hi, who is this?" and he says, "GB..." hahaha! I've never thought to call you GB before dad! He goes on to finally say... "oh! WHAT ARE YOU DOIN' MAN??" I laughed for a second and then set up the time to call. It was so nice just to hear his voice for those 3 minutes or so, and as hard as it was to hear about Grandpa, I've felt the love of our Savior and His Atoning sacrifice more this week than usual as I've poured my heart out to Heavenly Father asking for the protection that grandpa needs. Dad, Grandpa, God is watching over both of you and He's going to do what is best. I know that that is true and I know that God is always with us. I've thought more this week about how hard it must have been for God to watch as the world rejected and crucified His Only Begotten Son. Elder Holland, in an MTC talk, talks about those last moments on the cross as our Lord cries out: "Oh God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Elder Holland said something to the effect of: "There probably isn't a corner in Heaven where God could watch His Son suffer through that ordeal without suffering along with Him." I think of God watching US as we suffer, whether it be physical (in Grandpa's case) or whether it be emotional (which I know I feel right now, and I know that Dad is feeling this as well) God is suffering with us. One of my favorite poems of all time is "Footsteps on the Sand." It talks about a conversation that a man is having with Christ. The man tells the Lord about a dream that he has at certain times in his life. When times are good, he sees a beach with two sets of footprints, one right beside the other, going down the shore. When times in his life have been rough, and he felt like he couldn't push through, he saw the same beach, but there were only one set of footprints. He looks at the Lord with tears in his eyes ( and I can only imagine the pain, hurt, betrayal and anguish) and says: "God, why did you leave me when I needed you the most?" The Lord, our Savior who loves us more than any of us could ever comprehend, looks at this beaten down, dispairing man and says: "Those times when you saw two sets of footprints walking along the sand, I was walking with you. Those times when you saw only one set of prints, I never left you, but I carried you along the way."

      I know that it's hard sometimes to believe that we are being carried along when the world seems so dark and so dreary. I know that when we feel so beaten down, and we are dispairing, that it feels like the Savior is so far away. But the Savior is always there. He will never forget us. He has "graven us upon the palms of His hands." (1 Nephi 21: 14-16) As I've prayed each night for Grandpa's safety and for the comfort that the rest of the family needs, I can't help but think of how much the Savior loves each one of us, and He will take care of us. "He will not leave us comfortless." (John 14:18) I promise that God is looking over each and every one of us. He always knows best what we need and what will benefit us most.


     So, on to the rest of the week! Tuesday, after skyping you, we ended up getting lost for about an hour and got back to the apartment just in time, sweating and breathing hard after our roundabout tour of Tainan! Wednesday, we got to go to a recent converts house so that Elder S could skype, and I found the most beautiful sight in the world. There, in the corner by our recent convert's bed, was the most welcome sight I've seen since coming to Taiwan... yes. It was a guitar. So I played some soft background music (ripping my fingers up for the better part of 40 minutes) while Elder S talked with his family! That just made the whole rest of my day! After that, we got to go to a college and talk with the English students for a while, they gave us lunch and just asked us questions about America mostly. We contacted for a while and then went to the chapel for our English class at night. I love that class so much! It's so fun to talk to everyone in English for a while and tell them about all the different ways to say things! Last week, they decided to ask me about what words you should or shouldn't say... that was a fun little topic! There was this guy in the back (his English is awesome) and he kept spelling out cuss words and asking me if that would be okay to say!! Ah, I just had to laugh and tell him no, they are not ok to say! I told him to use dad's personal favorite instead, "Rats!" They all seemed to like that, and now they all think dad is kind of a weirdo but they use "Rats!" anyways! haha, sorry dad! The rest of the week has just kind of flown by! It's been pretty freezing these past two days, I'm all wrapped up in scarf, gloves and sweater as I ride my bike against the wind! During the night, it really sounds like the world is ending! ha maybe the Mayans were right! It's really not that cold, I think I'm just becoming Taiwanese and now I'm ultra Pa leng (scared of the cold weather)... or maybe I've always been Pa leng, it's just worse now! I'm going to have to bring a space heater everywhere with me when I get home! It's way funny, at our apartment we have a guy that sits at the front desk, a guanli (I'm not sure what you would call him in English) and he is so pa leng!! It's so funny, the past two days he's been wrapped up in this HUGE jacket (which he proudly bought in America, he loves the fact that, in English, it says "bear" on it) and a big, fluffy beanie, with gloves and a scarf! Everytime he sees us, he just shakes his head and says we need to put more clothes on! He cracks me up! Yesterday he was talking about the time he went to Alaska and he froze to death! He was trying to say that he's cold blooded, like a snake, but he was using a Chengyu, like and idiom, to explain it and so I had no idea what he was trying to say! He was pointing at his heart and then saying something about a snake, so I kind of got it, but the overall message was there. He really hates the cold. Other than that, it's been a great week! Even with the cold it's been great! It's really flying by, I feel like it was just yesterday that I was sitting at the same computer, writing you and telling you about the last week! I'm doing good, I'm passing off my first phase of Language study, and I'm continuing to work with Elder S to become the best missionary that I can be! He's awesome by the way, I wish you could have talked with him more, he's so great with the people here and his Chinese is incredible! He understands everything!!

     So things here are going great, I'll be sending off your Christmas package today with all the stuff in it for you, hopefully it'll get there pretty quick! I got your letters this week and I loved them! I wish I could answer all your questions right now, but I left the letters at my apartment, so I'll have to answer questions next week! I want to wish Macy and very happy Birthday, I hope you had a blast! You're all great, and I miss you all tons, but the work is moving forward! Jess, I'm so stoked for you to get your call (to Taiwan, of course) and I hope you're doing all you can to prepare yourself NOW, which I'm sure you are! You're going to be an absolutely incredible missionary! Alec, you've gotten crazy ripped in just the past 3 months! I'm sure it was all the wrestling! You keep ripping it up little man! I hope that you keep that Wrestling fire going for the next 10 years!! You'll be even better than Grant La'mont! Macy, one more thing! I know guitar is crazy hard, and it probably hurts your fingers a ton! But don't give up! Learn some songs that you like to listen to, some T-Swift songs and such, and then just play them until it sounds good! That's how I learned! Use the ultimate-guitar tabs website, it helps a lot!

     Mom, Hello dear mother! I love reading your e-mail every week! It makes me so happy to hear all about the stuff going on at home! I love reading about your reactions to all the snow, haha! Reading your letter this week was such a boost too! I've been really trying my best to always be positive here and to not let anything bother me, and you know what? It's really not that hard! It's easy to just sit down and quit, but you know, the more I think about it, the more I know that I never could. I feel like I've gotten a taste of what the real purpose of missionary work is, and now that I've gotten that, I could never just give up! As easy as it might have been at first to let someones rejection tear me down, now it builds me up! Knowing that I've at least given them a chance to accept the Gospel is all that I need to know! As long as I'm doing my best to talk with everyone, I'm fulfilling my purpose!

     It was so good to see you! I miss you a ton, and I think about you always, but I want you to know I'm happy! I'm starting to get into the Taiwanese habits, and it's not really all that foreign anymore! Weird huh? Well, I love you! I'll talk to you next week!

     Dad, I still am in shock that you're growing a beard! I didn't even recognize you! It looks good! You should keep it!

    I've been thinking a lot this week about you, how you're doing. I can't comprehend the feelings that you must be going through right now, with Grandpa, but I can tell you that the Savior knows. Coming unto the Savior is the entire purpose of our lives here on earth, and It's the center of my purpose as a missionary. I'm to "invite others to come unto Christ..." That's not just limited to the people here in Taiwan, but I'm extending it to all that I come in contact with. Dad, the Savior's arms are open for you to run into.... and for all i know, you've already accepted those arms. Everything that I've learned here, I see in you. I see the strength that you emulate for everyone around you. You are that person that helps others. You are the opitimy (I'm sorry, my English spelling is pretty screwed up!) of Charity. I know that if anyone ever needs anything, you are there to give it to them. Whether it be physically moving something, or just being the shoulder to lean on, you're there. I want you to know that you don't have to go through this alone. The Savior is standing at your door, asking to be let in so that He can carry you. If I know you as well as I think I do, you've already opened the door long before you read this e-mail. But I just want you to know the revelation that I've received this week. The Savior loves us and will never leave us!

     I love you dad! I constantly think of the accumulation of advice and wisdom you've given to me over the years! I'll never forget the words of wisdom you've given me since I've started driving (every time I walk out the door) something along the lines of: "don't share needles, drive 2 under, and Return Honorably." You've told me for a long time now, to always Return with Honor. I promise to do so. I look up to you more than you know, and I've looked up to you more here than ever before. I love you!

     Just to finish up, I want to follow up with everyone! Does everyone have there copies of the Book of Mormon?? Did you get some for Grandma and Grandpa? How about your marking pens? Keep going, and don't try to just fly through it! Internalize it, let it become the foundation of your testimony! Search for specific questions, and keep a journal where you can write your revelation down, because I promise you'll receive a boatload! I love you all, Jiayou!!

No comments:

Post a Comment