Taichung Time

Monday, March 3, 2014

March 2, 2014

This has been one of the busiest, most fulfilling weeks of my whole mission so far!! I'll try to keep the email short...ish :)

First things first, Elder R is gone! Man, it was sad to see him go! He will definitely go down as one of my favorite companions! I feel like we did SO much together! We baptized 2 awesome new friends, worked with a lot of different less active brothers, established a truly GREAT relationship with the ward, and had the opportunity to lead and uplift the other missionaries in the zone all the while! So much fun!! It's a lot different with Elder G... No less happy, but it's definitely a little more stressful to be training a new zone leader who doesn't speak English! It's a good thing that he's the most Christlike person I've ever met in my life!! He's got a heart so full of love and charity that it makes me feel like I'm a horrible person every time I open my mouth! haha... we're pretty happy together! 

I picked him up from the Mission Home on Tuesday morning, we spent a day in our area, and then got ready to head to Taipei on Wednesday! That's right! we went to the Temple!!! It was absolutely incredible. My mind was totally blown away, and I'm pretty sure my Spirit is still in shock from the epic-ness of it all. On the way up to the temple, we watched a new movie called: "Ephraim's Rescue." I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but if you haven't seen it yet, go and see it! It's done by the same guy that did 17 Miracles, I think it's T.C. Christensen or something like that... it's incredible guys. I loved it! I was also such a blast to be there with all the missionaries in the Zone, and we also picked up some missionaries in another zone on the way up... much to my surprise when I saw Elder B walk on to the bus! ha, he's a fun guy to be around!

I had an awesome chance to exchange with Elder C on Thursday and Friday... so much fun! It's definitely a little odd to be exchanging with an old companion and be in a different area! Kind of feels like old times, but in a TOTALLY different place! He's doing really well! His Chinese is getting a lot better, and he teaches like a boss now! It's so much fun to be in the same zone as him! 

On Friday, we had a pretty awesome/funny experience! We went to an appointment at an investigators house, but when we got there, the lights were all off and no one was answering the door. We were really disappointed and a little embarrassed because we had taken a member with us over there... I was about to just turn around and apologize to the member, but Elder G says: "Let's say a prayer really quick!" I thought that was a little ridiculous. It was hot and I was sweating, I was annoyed that our investigator had stood us up and I'll even admit I was a little annoyed that Elder G was still so flippin' optimistic!! haha, we said the prayer, called for the investigator once more, and he came walking down the stairs! I was absolutely shocked! There you go, even though I've been out here pretty long, I learn more and more every day. Lesson learned for Elder Noll! 

As we continued to go about our lessons throughout the rest of the day, we had another really awesome experience! We were meeting with a new investigator and a member for the first time, and we decided to talk about the role that we have as missionaries, and the role that they would have as "investigators." We ended up speaking of the incredible relationship that we can have with God and the peace and love that it can bring into our lives. The investigator stopped us in the middle of a sentence, looked at me and said: "What is this feeling? I feel... something! It's in my heart!" He was so sincere. It was almost like looking into the eyes of an 8 year old child as I explained about the love that God had for him and how the Holy Ghost helps us feel of that same love. The man then committed to be baptized on the 22nd of March, and he told us he's already starting to give up smoking and drinking! I was so touched! Such an awesome experience.

Saturday was a special day. We have been meeting with this guy for a long time. I think I told you about him last time.... Everything that goes against God's commandments, he was doing it... and the worst part was that he didn't even care. He came to us one day 2 months ago, and his remorse and desire to change was very visible. It wasn't easy for us, and it definitely was one of the hardest things that HE has ever done, but he changed. On Saturday night, I had the honor of helping him enter the waters of Baptism. It was actually the first person I've Baptized personally! It was a special feeling as we both entered the water. As I said the prayer, I didn't feel anything to special, but as I thought of the words that I had uttered later the next day, I felt like I got hit by a sack of bricks! The power of those words are not only for this world. They are binding and sealing blessings for Eternity! 

I just want to share what I learned in personal study on Saturday morning really quick. I was reading in Jacob 5 (possibly Dad's favorite parable in all scripture) and I was trying to find a way to see a different meaning in the parable than I have before. I've always only connected this chapter to missionary work, but this time was a little different. As I read the first few verses, I thought of the man that we were going to be baptizing that night. The master of the vineyard cares so much for his vineyard and he takes so much care with each separate and individual plant. He will prune, dig about, and nourish each and every area of his vineyard every so often, and he is constantly thinking of ways to help his vineyard be more and more healthy. The master is the Savior in this instance, and His vineyard is the world. I am one of the plants, as is the man we baptized, as is the bum begging for food on the street, and as are you. We are all a part of this vineyard, and the Savior is pruning, digging about, and nourishing us with all the strength that He has. We only need to accept His love and labor and we will become what He knows we can! Accept the hard advice that the Holy Spirit whispers to you. It might not be all that comfortable to be "pruned" or "dug about" but in the end, all the Savior is doing is nourishing us. 

Love you all with all I've got! Have an absolutely incredible week, and go out there and love every day! 

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment