Taichung Time

Monday, May 5, 2014

May 2, 2014

I've been runnin' all over this island all week! I feel bad for anyone who is still reading these e-mails because they are the same every week lately! I'm running short on time, I spent a good portion of the week driving, and we fixed a bunch of problems in multiple apartments throughout the mission... This week was pretty much the same! So, I'll talk to you next week...

Nah, I'll talk about some of the funner stuff really quick! 

On Monday, I finally got a chance to get a haircut! My hair was getting pretty long, so I finally got it cut down to a normal length and now it's looking pretty good. Monday was the worst day of the week... well, second to worst. We went out to lunch as an office crew to celebrate the D's last Monday as Taiwan Taichung Missionaries... they are the couple missionaries that came on island a week before me and received training at the same time that I did. They've been loved by every single missionary here in the mission, but they will be missed most by those in the office right now. We all had a chance to sit in a circle and share our feelings for the D's... there wasn't a dry eye there! 

At night, we went to visit a part-member family to do a Family Home Evening with them. We took Sister B with us. It ended up being one of the most spiritual experiences of my mission. Her husband is not a member, and she is so worried that he will never get baptized. The husband attends church weekly, but doesn't stay for the 3rd hour because he doesn't feel too comfortable. I felt that I should share the story of Grandpa Noll's conversion with her. I told her how incredible it was to read the e-mail when dad told me grandpa wanted to be baptized. I told her how happy I was when I saw those pictures, and then I showed her the picture of dad and grandpa in their baptismal clothes and this sister just burst into tears. We promised her that God is aware of ALL of His children, no matter whether they've been baptized or not, and that He has plans for each and every one of us. We will be going over for a Family Home Evening from now on each and every Monday. I wish I could explain those feelings more accurately, but there just is no way to do so!

Tuesday, we stayed in the office doing a ton of stuff until the afternoon, and then we went to visit a member and had dinner with her. She is a cute, little, old lady who just loves missionaries and we wanted a chance to uplift her a little bit. Her husband is also a non-member, but he isn't very keen on the church in general, let alone missionaries! She sometimes struggles with his opposition to the church so it's nice to go over and watch her relax and laugh for a little while.

On Wednesday, we partied pretty hard over to the Zhongxing zone! My old home! It was so nice to see some of those old faces of the missionaries that I used to serve with. It really feels like you're going home when you go back and visit one of your old areas. It's interesting the way that works. I live in a place so different from the place I used to call home, and yet this place is as much a home and family to me as the ones back in America. Of course, NOTHING can replace the feelings I've developed with my blood family in the states, but it's as if God has added hundreds of people and places into that family and I'll be able to see eternity with all of them as well.

Thursday was a fun day for sure. It was President B's Birthday!!! Elder L and I helped set up for the Mission Leadership Council, we went over and helped some sister missionaries move out of their old apartment and into a new one, and then we went over and partied with President! We had dinner at this delicious place with some awesome Chinese food.This place had some of the most delicious food ever! You'd be surprised at the fact that I thoroughly enjoy eating peppers and onions and eggplant and all kinds of weirdo veggies now. After dinner was over, we ended up at the B's house for some cake and singing. Sister B made an incredible chocolate cake, and we all had a great time talking and laughing together. 

The day ended up being the worst day of the week because the D's said goodbye to us that night. Eyes were all red and none of us really had much to say! We just shook hands (I gave Elder D a pretty big hug) and then had to part ways! It was pretty hard! 

After the goodbye, we hopped in the car and drove down to Tainan... I got some pretty good use out of those sunflower seeds that you sent! They kept me awake as I drove throughout the night, so THANK YOU!!!

Friday was spent in the very southern part of the mission. We spent the day in Tainan, Gaoxiong and Pingdong! I really hope that President will move me down to Pingdong once my time is done here in the office! 

That was the week! I just want to share really quickly about what it means to endure to the end. An example of enduring to the end in my life is my little brother Jessi. He sent me an email today that said: "My right leg is kinda getting destroyed...my shins and my knees...but without pain we wouldn't know happiness!! Haha! So I just gotta train through and tough it out." I've heard many people talk about my brother and tell me that he is just "naturally talented," that he doesn't have to work as hard as other people to get where he is. They may have heard when he shattered his entire knee, and they may have visited when he was bedridden for over a month. But they didn't watch as he killed himself daily in the weight room, they didn't see him as he sprinted miles and miles in order to regain strength in his leg. They didn't notice the trust and effort he put into studying the word of God and the absolute love he developed for for his Heavenly Father. I did. He is my forever example of what it means to PUSH through hard times. Were he to be a pioneer, he wouldn't have walked beside the cart. He wouldn't have pushed or pulled it. He would have put the cart on his back and carried it to the Salt Lake Valley. Brothers and Sisters, to "endure" is a verb. Be active in all that you do, be active in loving others and enduring to the end. 
 
love you guys! have an awesome week!

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment