Taichung Time

Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 24, 2014

How's it all goin' in that mountainous bowl over there? Has your snow all melted away yet? I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't! It's been pretty rainy over here for the last week... that's an understatement. It's been dumping buckets on us for a week straight. :) I guess God picked a good time to put me in the office! Dodged a bullet there!

We had SO much to do this week, and I loved it! The new missionaries came in this week, so we were busy with all of their orientation and training... and babysitting when needed... haha it's much needed when your brand new to Taiwan! It was a group of 5 Elders this time, much smaller than last time, and they were all pretty pumped up to be out here. It's nice to see that energy, it really makes me want to work harder in all aspects of my own life! Their was one new elder whom especially stood out, and it wasn't because of how loud he was or even his enthusiasm. His name is Elder Z, born in Mainland China and grew up in Michigan since the age of 7. He met the missionaries while in college and was baptized as the only member in his family. After being baptized, he left school the next semester and began saving up money to serve a mission. You'd think that he'd be a little nervous about coming out and sharing a message he didn't even know about 2 years ago, but he's absolutely confident in everything he says and does. He inspires me! I had the wonderful opportunity to run with him in the morning, and I immediately knew that I wanted to be his companion some day. He's totally prepared for this mission.

We're trying to change a lot of things in the office lately. We're working on helping everyone do their work together and uplift each other, so we spent quite a bit of time this week in meetings and planning. It was nice to get on a one on one level with more of the office crew... it's such a blast to work with these wonderful people! Let me tell you about the W's. Elder and Sister W are from Idaho. Elder W served his mission here in Taiwan when it was all one big mission, so his Chinese is still pretty good! Sister W is a dedicated learner and she's working on her basic Chinese. Elder L and I work very closely with this office couple because we're all in charge of the apartments throughout the mission. I love talking to Elder W. He's gotta be the most humble being I've ever met. Very humble and soft spoken, but bold in everything he does! I've never once heard him complain about anything and he is constantly looking for opportunities to take the load off of our backs. He's a great joy to have in the office!

Well, our whole week was basically spent on the new missionaries. It's so much fun to be a part of that, but it's also utterly exhausting! I think I'm going to spend the rest of my p day sleeping. 

The thought I'd like to leave with you today has to do with a Christlike Attribute. If you do not own a personal copy of the book: "Preach my Gospel" I invite you to get one as soon as possible. Preferably one that you'll be able to write in and take notes. Turn to the last page of Chapter 6 and take the evaluation. I've been thinking a lot about what it takes to develop these kinds of Christlike Attributes... things such as: Charity, Hope, Faith, Patience, Humility, Diligence, and so on. I feel that a fundamental attribute that will effect all other attributes and the development thereof, is the attribute of Christlike Love. If we could master that attribute then the rest would be a piece of cake! To truly love someone in a Christlike way doesn't mean to be all sappy and vocal about it. But it's the way you act, the way you speak to and about them. These things are not easily measured, but I encourage you to try. Look at the way you interact with God's children all around you and make the changes necessary to develop a deeper love for them.

I love this opportunity to be in Taiwan. I love the people. I love my calling, and I love my Lord. 

I leave these things with you always in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment