Taichung Time

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 16, 2014

And so passes the least important holiday in the history of the world... well, the Missionary world at least! Elder R and I took turns trying to buy each others meals in order to celebrate it. It was pretty awesome! There's this convenient store here called Family Mart. I don't really know how to explain Taiwanese convenient stores... picture a gas station, but it's got more stuff in there and there is no place to pump gas. Now picture having at least 5 different franchises on one street, and now you know what convenient stores are like in Taiwan. Family Mart is famous for only ONE thing... the Japanese ice cream machine. It's pretty much a necessity to go to Family Mart two or three times a week to eat this ice cream if you're a missionary in the Taichung Mission! Lately, they've been coming out with some new flavors as well! They started with just Vanilla, then added Chocolate, then a Chocolate and Vanilla swirl, and now (especially for Valentines Day) they've added strawberry. So we had a party at Family Mart on Valentines Day afternoon... it was so good!

It's a great day to be alive mi amigos! I'm absolutely bursting with joy today because the sun is out and shining finally! It's been FREEZING and rainy all week, so we're especially excited to be outside today! I never thought it would be so cold here in Taiwan! I came so close to breaking and buying myself a new jacket (seeing as I don't really have one!) but the coldest part of the year is over and I think I'll make it now! 

I'm going strong on the vegetarian diet, just to let you all know! I've only had meat once this week, and it was only because it was a member who wanted to feed us last night. He's moving down to my old ward in Gaoxiong and he wanted to have one last dinner with us, so we couldn't refuse! I'm feeling pretty fresh though! It's kinda nice to just cleanse all the bad stuff out of my body right now! 

We spent a lot of time in meetings this week! Meetings and companion exchanges! On Thursday, we spent literally ALL day in Yuanlin at the Stake Center doing President Interviews and Planner and Area Book checks. We do that once every 3 months, so I'm pretty used to the process by now... but this time, I was the one who had to check everyone's planner and area book!! I was hit with a pretty big wave of dejavu as I thought back to my first time doing interviews and planner checks! It was a blast to work so close with President Blickenstaff and see how "bro" he really is! He called me "dude" a few times and loves the word "sweet." He's definitely from California! We also hung out with the assistants all day, and they ended up driving us home at night because the buses didn't run that late! We got to the Stake Center at 8 in the morning and didn't leave until 8 at night!! Talk about an exhausting day, but it was so much fun! Just before we packed up and called it a night, Elder R and I, the two assistants and President all sat together and talked about each and every missionary in the zone, one by one. It was an interesting experience to watch the love and care that President Blickenstaff had for each and every one of those missionaries. I was also impressed by how much he KNEW each of them as well! 

The rest of our week was spent maneuvering through the obstacle course of the Light Festival. I'll send some pictures next week... it's AWESOME and an enormous pain in the butt to get through. It's right in the middle of our house / our area and the church, so we have to find different ways to get through it multiple times during the day... it definitely keeps things interesting! 

Oh! Forgot to tell you about P-day last week! We went to Sun Moon Lake again, because last time that we went for the Christmas activity, we couldn't see it because of the rainy weather and all the fog. We wanted to see it at least once before Elder R left, so we scheduled a friend to drive us up there and hang out with us for the day... the weather was worse than the first time, and we could see even less... but it's okay!! It made for some really cool lookin' pictures! 

For my spiritual share, I'd like to share the experience of Elder W (Aunt Sherri, he says he knows you guys!) an elder in the zone that I absolutely love! I exchanged with him this week and we were up really late talking, and he shared with me a small parable that he'd thought of a few years back called: "The Cowboy."  I can't remember everything that he said, so I'll just sum it up.

There was an old cowboy who once had a horse that he was training. This was a hard enough task in the first place, but this specific horse just made it all the more painful. Everyday he'd get up, do the chores, and when the time came, he'd go to the field and try to ride this horse. He'd get in the saddle and immediately the horse would buck violently. He would give it absolutely everything he had until the horse bucked him right off and the old cowboy would hit the ground hard. The cowboy would get up slowly, muscles and bones groaning, and see the horse looking at him, as if it were saying: "stay down. You're tired and hurt, and I can do this all day." The cowboy thought to himself, he could go inside, nurse his injuries and have a nice dinner prepared by his wife, or he could keep going and most likely get bucked off again. He chooses to get back on. Throughout the coming weeks and months, the horse would buck less and less, and eventually the cowboy was able to lead him around the ring. 

What do we do when we come across challenges so fierce that we get bucked off and land on our backs? What do we do when we throw everything we've got at life, but life still hits us back harder? Why should we even try to face trials that look bleak and hopeless? Is it even worth the time? 

Get up. When did God EVER tell us that life was easy? Did I miss that scripture in all my studies? Life is not meant to be easy. There will be a day when we, like the cowboy in the story, will look at our opponent and he will sneer at us as if saying: "stay down. You're tired and hurt, and I can do this all day." We WILL fall down. I tell you now that although we will fall, we are not meant to remain there. God doesn't expect us to go through life without mistakes and without failure. But He does expect us to get up and continue forward. Don't let laziness be an excuse. If you're already the smartest person in your school, learn more. If you're already the strongest on the ball team, or the fastest, or the most talented, WORK HARDER. 

Only with the help and standards of God can we become the Kings and Queens that we are to be, but I'm here to warn you that the road is not an easy one. Never give up.

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment