Taichung Time

Monday, February 10, 2014

February 9, 2014

Well, as the title implies, this week had some miracles in it!... along with a whole lot of food! The first miracle (well, it hasn't really happened yet, but it'll be a miracle if I can do it) is that Elder R and I are now officially vegetarians. We'll be going the next 3 weeks without any meat whatsoever in order to cleanse out all the Chinese New Year garbage that we ate! Remember to keep me in your prayers! ;)

SO!! We had a pretty fun week over here in the beautiful land of Caotun!! On Monday, we hung out in casual clothes all day as we went hiking and played basketball for the majority of the day... it felt really weird not to be wearing a shirt and tie! I felt so underdressed as we were walking around the city! It's weird the things that you get used to on a mission... but I won't lie to you and say that I prefer a shirt and tie! Like that'll happen! haha!

The line of meal appointments continued on throughout the whole week, and I'm feeling so full of food I could burst. On Tuesday, we went to another Thai place with a really awesome family of recent converts and it was SOOOOOO good! Dad and Jessi, you guys would LOVE this place. Everything's really spicy (which, you'll be surprised to know that I like that now) with lot's of different meats slathered in different tangy/sour sauces! We ate so much and my stomach was so uncomfortable for the next 2 days as I digested the spicy peppers and sauces. I thought my stomach was literally on fire. It was totally worth it. 

That same day, we went to the Yuanlin chapel to hold a Zone Training Meeting. It was a total blast to be with the members of our zone and to talk with them and inspire them about how we are going to hit certain goals in the month of February. We also had the assistants to the President come and attend as well, so it was really fun to hang with Elder H and Elder E. I even got a chance to wrestle with Elder E after ZTM and it got me pretty fired up! Man, I miss that kind of exercise!!!

We had some fun working together in our own area for the next few days after that. We met with a couple of our investigators and helped them progress towards their baptismal dates. We have quite a few really great investigators lately, and they're all gaining small testimonies as they struggle along with their individual problems and concerns... It's been a humbling experience for me to work with these people. It's definitely tested my patience and helped me learn more of what it means to serve people and be charitable. We had a member talking in church yesterday about his work (he's an owner of a small restaurant and he does everything from cooking to serving to washing dishes) and he shared a story about an annoying customer who was getting on his nerves more and more as the time went by. Eventually, he thought about the Savior and how He always served with love and patience and never once lost his temper or allowed uncharitable thoughts to enter His mind. This man then said a prayer of gratitude for the lesson he learned about what it means to truly serve God's children. That story really touched me. There have been times when I've been so annoyed because somebody's not progressing fast enough, or they won't keep the commitments that I invite them to do, and I let it get to me and bug me quite often... but it shouldn't be that way. I want to emulate the Savior's example and love God's children the way that He does. It's going to take some work on my part, of course! But I'm determined to do it, and I know that He'll be by my side helping me feel of His love all the while.

When I went over to Zhanghua on Friday to work with a new missionary, Elder C, I had one of the most special experiences of my life. We decided that we were going to go look for a specific less active member to visit, so we found him on the map and headed towards his house.... it was literally up a mountain! We were killing ourselves and our bikes as we rode up this steep hill for a good hour! When we finally found the place, it wasn't there. The street was completely missing! Disappointed and discouraged, we were about to head down when we saw that another less active lived near the mountain we were on. Just by coincidence, the street we needed to take was right next to where we were at the time, so we decided we should go find this guy. We looked and looked, but couldn't find the address. I was in a new area that I'd never been to before, and Elder C said that he had a hard time reading maps, so you can imagine the frustration that we both felt! But we both new that we needed to find this man, so we kept looking. Finally, after an hour and a half of biking, dripping in sweat, we arrived at the door to this little house. We knocked and saw that the less active brother was home! He was overwhelmed with joy to see us and heartily ushered us in to the house to eat guava and chat. Turns out, he and his mother joined the church about 3 years ago! About 2 minutes into the conversation, we heard a woman's voice outside say: "Oh! The Missionaries are back!" She came in, and it turned out to be the his sister! She had been baptized over 3 years ago and she helped her 2 younger brothers and her mother join the church. She's a very active member of the Relief Society Presidency now in Taichung. When she saw us, she was so excited, almost to the point of tears! She said that her mother, an older and frail woman, had fallen and broken her collar bone about a week ago. Even though they had taken her to the doctor and had it operated on, she was still in a lot of pain, and they'd been praying for help. When the active sister saw us, she knew that God had answered their prayers and she then asked us if we could do a Priesthood Blessing. 

How grateful I am to be able to be a tool that the Lord can use to answer the prayers of His beloved children. I was so touched by that experience, and I know that, although I may never see that family again, I will never forget them or the feelings that I had in their home. 

I want to leave you with a small spiritual share today. As I listened to the brother speak in Sacrament meeting yesterday, I marveled at him. He's been a member of the church for just over 3 months, and yet he's so full of the love of Christ and he's bursting with the Spirit. I watched him, and I thought of all that he gave up to be a member of the church. Coffee, tea, alcohol, drugs, friendships, he sacrificed the booming business of an open restaurant on Sunday so that he and his wife could go to church, and many other things that I probably don't even know about. Ask yourself this question... What would you give up for the Savior? Abraham gave his only Son. Many prophets gave their own lives. Early saints gave up everything they had in order to follow God's council! What is it that you can give up to be more consecrated unto the Lord? It's something I've thought long and hard about over the past week, and I felt so touched as I watched this man speak yesterday. God asks everything of us, and in return, He gives us all that He has. Don't ever forget where our standing is with God. He expects us to fully consecrate ourselves unto him, that's not something we can debate! But He promises us absolutely everything we need in return for our sacrifices.

Elder Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment