Taichung Time

Monday, February 3, 2014

February 2, 2014

Hey Duffers!! How's it kickin'? I hear that the Broncos are gettin' their butts kicked right now... sweet. ( Dad, how much did we bet again?)

We've had quite the week over here in the land of Betel Nut and sun! Basically, we haven't stopped eating all week. Last P-day, we went to a place like Tucanos and I ate until I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't even walk, so we slept for the rest of our P-day! It was totally worth it. 

We had the chance to go up to Taichung City for a big leadership meeting with President and Sister Blickenstaff on Tuesday and we spent the entire day there! We left our door at 7:45 in the morning and didn't get off our returning bus until 6:00 at night! That was the first night that we had people taking us out to eat, so we went straight to our appointment and had some delicious Thai food! Wow, Thai curry is so delicious!! Dad, you would love the amount of curry that they have here! It's really weird that I like to eat this kind of food now... it's all veggies and rice and fish and stuff! I'm poppin' octopus in my mouth like it's nothin'!! 

Wednesday was pretty busy! We had another couple eating appointments (where I ate dacang bao xiaocang... it's a hollowed out pig intestine with rice stuffed inside, and then a piece of sausage stuffed inside of the rice...) throughout the day, and then had a totally empty English Class! Ha, no one really wanted to come to English during the New Year preparations! 

Thursday is when the New Year actually started! We had an absolute blast as we rode through the pretty much EMPTY streets and screamed "Happy New Year" and "Merry Christmas" to everyone that looked outside of their house... then we'd run up and try to get them to let us in! We never actually got in to anyone's house, we were too 不好意思... but we did find some cool people on the streets! I wish I could explain how alien it feels to be in a big city during the Chinese New Year... the best example I can give you is the opening scene of "I Am Legend" when he's driving through the empty streets of New York! It's pretty similar! 

That night, we had an incredible dinner with many Taiwanese delicacies! Some funky meatballs wrapped in lettuce, some bamboo with mayo on top, some fried fish, mini shrimp, and some kind of yummy egg doinker! Then the host brought out her own home made MASHED POTATOES!!! We all thought that we'd died and gone to heaven! It was a really fun dinner!

They're doing this "light festival" thing this year in my area, and apparently it's only done once a year in different places throughout Taiwan, so we have people from all over the island coming into our area to see this HUGE set up of lights and statues and such! We've already ridden our bikes through it many times on our way to and from visits and it's really beautiful! They haven't even finished it yet and it's already totally awesome. We're pretty stoked to see it all lit up and ready to go (some time around the 14th I guess...). 

So we had a very busy week full of lot's of Dinner and Lunch appointments... highlights would be:

-Lasagna 
-lemon tarts
-KFC
-pig feet (just fat... I'll never be able to play the whole "little piggy went..." game with my kids.)
-PIZZA
-and basically non stop eating! And it's not even over! We've still got about 5 or 6 meal appointments throughout this next week! pray for me guys. 

I want to share today about the love that I feel for my family! I've probably shared too many times to count and you've all probably read those emails, but as I read the emails from my family this week and saw the pictures of Jessi and Alec doing Mr. Springville, my heart just exploded with love and pride! I think back to all the family vacations and outings we've done over the many years, and I'm bursting at the seams with joy knowing that those never have to end. We have all of eternity to be together, and that is all I'll ever need to be happy. I testify that through the blessings of living a worthy life and doing what God expects of us, we will be with our family for eternity. That is worth all the wealth or praise in the world, isn't it?

love, elder noll

No comments:

Post a Comment