Taichung Time

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

First Letter Home

Elder Noll has been in the MTC for 6 days, and here is his first letter:
 
Ni men hao!!!
     I miss you all mucho, (yes i'm learning espanol as well... not really) but I'm having the time of my life here! My companion (Lu Zhanglao, Elder Luke) and I just returned from the Temple with our entire Zone and it was absolutely incredible. As I sat in the Celestial Room, I could feel God's presence better than ever before, and it's an experience I know I will never forget. My Zhongwen (Chinese) is actually coming along pretty well. I can pray, bear a simple testimony, and somewhat carry on a conversation! The Gift of Tongues is so very real and I am so grateful for it. I keep looking at myself and telling my self I need to do better, I feel like I'm behind in the language but then I think to myself that I've only been here for 5 days!!! It's incredible what the Spirit of the Lord does to a person. I was speaking with Elder Ockey before one of the Devotionals and I told him this: "Even if I were to be sent home today, I would never be the same." The second I walked away from the van, the Lord was shaping me into the missionary I need to become.
     Now I know you want to hear all about my Tongban (companion) and about every little detail :) so hear goes! My companion Elder Luke is from Logan, Utah, and he is very smart. He's studying Physics and Math at the U of U. He is very punctual and on time so its nice to have somebody who will not let me slack off. It's been a little bit difficult because we don't share the same interests AT ALL! But I know Lu Zhanglao and I are companions for a reason. Our District is about as small as it gets! We have 6 people in our District! Elder Luke and I, Sister Chen, Sister Ward, Sister George, and Sister O'brian. It's been a wonderful experience to be in a District of Sister Missionaries, Jiemei men (Sisters) are so much more in tune with the Spirit than us Elders. It is such a blessing to be with them. My Zone has welcomed all the new missionaries with open arms! There's even a missionary who goes around the rooms and night and says "Hug Time!" in Chinese! ha I love it! I've finally met Elder Dwiggins and he's an awesome missionary! I dont have a lot of time left so I'm going to bear my testimony in Mandarin for all of you, I don't know how to write the tones out on the computer so bear with me! Wo zhidao Yesu Jidu feichang ai women he Ta si women. Wo ganxie Yesu Jidu shuzui! Wo zhidao women shi Shen de haizi he Yesu Jidu shi Ta de Erzi. Wo zhidao Yuese Simi touguo Tianfu he Shengling fanyi Mo'ermenjing. Wo zhidao zhege jiaohui shi zhengshi de. Wo feichang ai Yesu Jidu he Tianfu!! Wo ganxie zhege chuanjiao jihui. Feng Yesu Jidu de ming, Amen. I'm so grateful to know all of you are doing well, and your letters and packages this week have been so greatly appreciated!! I love you all so much!! Wo hen ai nimen!! I think about you everyday, and I know the Lord is watching over you so I'm not afraid!
 
     Love, Elder Noll (Luo Zhanglao)
 
 
          P.S. Mom, I thought you might want to know that I have those pictures up on my wall, and when my Zone Leader came in and saw the picture of you and I at the Redcliff Inn, he said: "Oh!! Ta shi ni de niu pengyou ma?" Which translates to: "Oh! Is she your girlfriend??" Haha he was shocked when I told him you were my mom and I still dont know if he believes me or not! The same Zone leader wants me to tell you that the sugar cookies are amazing! I love you so much mom! I am constantly thinking about you, and I appreciate you even more every day! I thought I should also let you all know that out of the 2 Elders in our District, I am the District Leader for the first 6 weeks! It's been an amazing oppurtunity to lead my District in meetings, songs, and prayer!
          P.S.S. Dad, one of the members of my Branch Presidency is Brother Teng! He says he was a Dept. Chair with you for several years! 
 
(Roughly translated...his testimony above says: I know Jesus Christ loves us and died for us. I am thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ! I know we are children of God and that Jesus Christ is His son. I know that Joseph Smith, with the help of Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost translated the Book of Mormon. I know this church is true. I love Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. I am thankful for this mission opportunity. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.)
        

No comments:

Post a Comment